More thoughts and observations on the tradeoffs involved in using React hooks and React-Redux
I had the opportunity to speak at React Boston each of the last two years - my first talk on the Redux Ecosystem in 2017), and last year's impromptu talk on "The State of Redux".
This year, I had a chance to do a lightning talk based on my post Blogged Answers: Thoughts on React Hooks, Redux, and Separation of Concerns, and expanded on those thoughts with a look at how we've handled reusing code in React apps in the past and how the tradeoffs of hooks and HOCs manifest themselves in React-Redux.
As always, I had an amazing time, and thanks to the entire React Boston team for putting together a great experience.
(Side note: the really amusing part this year was that I accidentally grabbed my work laptop power cord on the way out the door instead of the charger for my personal laptop, and didn't realize it until I got to the airport. I had to keep my laptop off the whole weekend to preserve battery, and only turned it on for 15 minutes to build and publish my slides the day before, and then about a half hour before I went on stage so I could review and give the talk. Fortunately, it worked out okay. Sure was glad to see the charger on my couch when I got home :) )
Slides are here, and I'll post the video once it's up.
Hooks, HOCs, and Tradeoffs - slides
This is a post in the Presentations series. Other posts in this series:
- Oct 07, 2016 - Presentation: Modern Web Dev Overview
- Feb 17, 2017 - Presentation: Intro to React and Redux
- Feb 24, 2017 - Presentation Sources Published
- Sep 24, 2017 - React Boston 2017 Presentation: You Might Need Redux (And Its Ecosystem)
- Mar 07, 2018 - Presentation: Intro to React and Redux (March 2018)
- Mar 20, 2018 - Reactathon Presentation: Redux Fundamentals
- Jun 30, 2018 - Redux Fundamentals Workshop Slides
- Oct 01, 2018 - React Boston 2018 Presentation: The State of Redux
- Mar 31, 2019 - Reactathon 2019 Keynote: The State of Redux
- Jun 11, 2019 - ReactNext 2019: A Deep Dive into React-Redux
- Sep 24, 2019 - React Boston 2019: Hooks, HOCs, and Tradeoffs